The Faculty of Ocean Engineering and Ship Technology is one of the oldest faculties of the Gdansk University of Technology. It is the only Faculty in Poland, which has continuously been teaching engineers since the beginning of 1945 in Ocean Engineering, with shipbuilding specialties. Since 1993 it has been teaching engineers in the specialty of Management and Economics in Maritime (first graduates in 1997). It has a highly experienced staff that ensures an effective education and research activities in broad areas of maritime industries.
During the 55 years of post-war activities, the Faculty promoted over 4938 BSc's and MSc's, 222 PhD's and 37 DSc's. Eleven times the Faculty's professors were awarded the dignity of Doctor Honoris Causa at polish and foreign Universities. Three of the Faculty's professors have been appointed members of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Three of the professors connected with shipbuilding had performed the function of Rector Magnificus of the Gdansk University of Technology (Szewalski, Staliński, Doerffer), three of our professors were awarded the dignity of Doctor Honoris Causa at the Technical University of Gdansk (Rylke, Szewalski, Doerffer).
Multilateral cooperation with polish and foreign Universities, membership in international organizations and associations, participation in scientific conferences and symposia contributes to the respect that the Technical University of Gdansk has in Poland and abroad. Four professors from the Faculty were awarded the dignity of Doctor Honoris Causa at other Univerities (Doerffer, Kobyliński, Staliński, Szewalski). Shipbuilders from the Gdansk University of Technology educated many outstanding representatives of Science.
The Faculty of Ocean Engineering and Ship Technology is a continuation of:
- the Faculty of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, established among six faculties when the Royal High Technical School was created in Gdańsk (1st October 1904);
- the Faculty of Naval Architecture, which was one of four faculties brought into being by the decree of KRN (24th may 1945), when the Technical University of Gdańsk started its activity;
- the Ship Research Institute, which was brought into being in 1968 as a result of transformation of the Faculty of Naval Architecture with the rights of faculty.